The ~Texas~ Mustang Project's Blog

Working for better management options and cohabitation through compromise and communication for the American Wild Mustang

BLM to Initiate EIS for Proposed Arturo Mine Project – Tuscarora FO

Posted by Texas Mustang Project on July 11, 2010


Release Date: 06/22/10
Contacts: John Daniel, 775-753-0277, John_Daniel@blm.gov
News Release No. 2010-29

BLM to Initiate EIS for Proposed Arturo Mine Project

Elko, Nev.–The Tuscarora Field Office of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is opening public scoping to identify potential issues to be analyzed in an environmental impact statement for Barrick Gold Exploration, Inc’s (Barrick) proposal to begin open-pit mining at the Arturo Mine Project and to continue surface exploration. The proposed project is about 45 miles northwest of Elko, in Elko County, Nev., at the previously authorized Dee Gold Mine site. The BLM published a Notice of Intent to Prepare an EIS in the Federal Register on June 21, 2010 which opens a 30-day scoping period. Comments will be accepted until July 21, 2010.

The BLM will host three scoping meetings in Nevada. The time for each meeting is 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.:

  • Tues., July 6, Owyhee: Human Development Center (Backroom), Owyhee
  • Wed., July 7, Battle Mountain: BLM District Office, 50 Bastian Road
  • Thurs., July 8, Elko: BLM District Office, 3900 East Idaho Street

At present, the BLM has identified the following preliminary issues: grazing, wildlife, Native American concerns, cultural resources and water resources.

The proposed Project includes the expansion of the existing open pit, construction of two new waste rock disposal storage facilities, construction of a new heap leach facility, and the construction of new support facilities (i.e. substation and associated transmission powerline, water wells, office, and roads). Mill grade mined material would be transported to Barrick’s Betze Mine Project for processing. No dewatering is proposed for this project. The proposed project would create approximately 2,347 acres of surface disturbance on public land administered by the BLM. The project life is approximately eleven years.

Written comments may be mailed to: BLM, Arturo Mine Project Coordinator, 3900 Idaho Street, Elko, NV 89801; faxed to (775) 753-0255; or emailed to arturo_eis@blm.gov. Questions concerning this project should be addressed to John Daniel at the above address, by phone at (775) 753-0277, or email arturo_eis@blm.gov.

Ranch manager raises concerns about mine plan

Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:51 pm
ELKO — Barrick Gold of North America’s plans to develop the Arturo Project into a new mine 30 miles northwest of Carlin brought questions Thursday from the manager of 25 Ranch.
Monte Price said the ranch works “very well with the mines, but some things just aren’t going to work. It shuts off the natural movement of cattle.”
Price and his wife Kelly Price of Battle Mountain were the only people with complaints at the U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s scoping meeting at the Elko office, and Barrick expects …
(Barrick owns 60 percent of the Arturo Project, and Goldcorp Inc. owns the remaining 40 percent.)
Advertisements

2 Responses to “BLM to Initiate EIS for Proposed Arturo Mine Project – Tuscarora FO”

  1. SHIRLEY LE GARDE said

    Another deal of Senator Reid. This man will keep up until he destroys Nevada. Look back at what has happened in the states of Virginia, West Virginia, etc. Open pit mining leave the land in terrible condition and not useable afterwards and the waste left behind is something you don’t want to see. Reid has the horses gone which he started himself back in the 1980 and next it will be the cattle because they cannot exist on that land. WAKE UP PEOPLE OF NEVADA OR YOU WON’T HAVE A STATE LEFT.

  2. Jan said

    it makes me mad that man’s greed destroys all of nature, including our wild life and the horses who graze on this land and cause no harm – we surely are raping the earth in the first part of this new century – nothing will be left for our grandchildren – sure hope harry reid gets beat out in next election and his pal salazar needs to go too – look at the mess in the gulf – no one cares except the companies that are losing money

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: