From RGJ.com: 14,800 acres of range goes public, Feb. 25, 2010
Posted by Texas Mustang Project on March 22, 2010
Home Camp Ranch Acquisition by the BLM – Key Points
- Located in the far northwest corner of Washoe County about 170 miles north of Reno.
- 14,824 acres now managed by the BLM.
- $5.8 million acquisition funded through sale of federal land in Southern Nevada.
- Agreement will provide improved public access into the Wall Canyon Wilderness Study Area.
- Habitat will be provided for Greater sage grouse, Wall Canyon sucker, California big horn sheep and pika, species deemed to be in some level of danger.
- Critical range for mule deer and pronghorn antelope also will be protected.
- Second-largest land deal funded through the SNPLMAct and complements the largest acquisition of more than 17,000 acres in and around the Granite Range north of Gerlach. That $6 million deal was closed in 2008.
- Nevada Land Conservancy nominated the land for public acquisition.